Brothers and Sisters,
Please see the attached flyer of the Public Hearing, pertaining to Rail Labors Legislation, which is being progressed together in the 2019 Legislative Session by both the BLET and the SMART-TD.
We continue to work tirelessly in your behalf communicating with Legislators everyday, expressing our needs and concerns associated with Safety and Fatigue Issues in the Railroad Industry. They are very receptive of the fact that both organizations are working together, in a cohesive manner to promote our purpose, as they need perspectives of each craft to grasp the big picture.
It takes an intense amount of time and dedication to progress our agenda’s, to be certain Legislators truly understand. The carrier does their best to undermine our efforts, yet we continue to gain more ground. Everyday is pivotal and it is imperative that we utilize all resources to sustain the truths we stand and fight for.
For those who have worked in this industry longer then 12 years, it is known and understood that the current operating practices of the carrier have not always been this way. There was a time before the draconian availability policies and forms of discipline, that allowed for a degree of a work/life balance. Currently, it seems those days are few in number as the carrier wants to accomplish more with less. It is up to us all, to restore some semblance of normalcy for the future that lay ahead.
Your support and personal knowledge is greatly needed to convey the first-hand accounts as to what we deal with when at work and away. You are the constituency of your Legislative District(s) and the voice of Rail Labor in Washington State, that has the right of the protections it will provide by enacted law.
Please take advantage of this opportunity to participate in what affects you and others in a positive way, as our legislation protects both Railroad Labor and the Communities in which we operate.
Please see the following information pertaining to the Legislative Public Hearing below.
- Meeting place before the Public Hearing for Rail bill supporters will meet at 7:30 am in the Pritchard Building in the cafeteria. (When you walk through the doors, turn to the right.)
- The Public Hearing will take place in the House Labor & Workplace Standards Committee State Capitol Campus, John L. O’Brien Bldg. Hearing Room E, Olympia, WA, Thursday, February. 14th 8:00 AM.
- When facing the Pritchard Building, from the middle of the courtyard, the John L. O’Brien Building is on your Right….
- When entering the JLOB, the hearing room letter designations (Room E) are above the doorways specific to that hearing room.
- Once you have arrived at the Public Hearing, please sign-in to record your support for HB 1841, 1842 & 1843. There are computer terminals / kiosk in the specific Public Hearing room(s), to do so.
- You must sign-in to testify as well…..There are computer terminals / kiosk in the specific Public Hearing room(s), to do so.
- If you choose to testify you will have 2 minutes as an individual and 4 to 5 minutes each as a panel (2 or more persons) to share your opinion and personal experience on what the bills mean to you. The Committee Chair can reduce your time down to 2 minutes, be sure to keep this in mind.
- It is best to write a prepared statement, time yourself to be certain you can convey your message clearly in 2 minutes. If you are not a great writer or word-smith don’t worry, keep it simple and to the point.
Please feel free to pass this information to other Rails, family, friends, etc., who support our issues.
Attachments and Additional Information:
- Locate and click on the attachment – House Bill Bundle.pdf, to gain additional understanding to the context of the bills.
- You may call your Legislator and ask them to support HB 1841, HB 1842 & HB 1843: 800-562-6000
- If you can’t attend this hearing, submit your comments for HB 1841, 1842, & 1843 at the following link: https://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/
- Locate and click on the attachment – “How to Comment on a Bill”.
Shahraim C. Allen
Washington State Legislative Board
Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen
International Brotherhood of Teamsters – Rail Conference